Lindy’s Blog: Where Mom is Always Right

September 5, 2008

In response to that letter about Sarah Palin…

…or, Jon Hart knocks it out of the park.

Okay, everyone.  I blog for fun.  But my brother, Jon, should seriously consider doing it professionally. 

There has been a letter circulating the internet, on the blogs and into your email inboxes, written by a “Jackie S.” about Sarah Palin.  I’m sure most of you have seen it.  If not, I have posted it below, in full:

Because you, like me, may never have heard of Sarah Palin until today, you may find this an interesting perspective from an Alaskan resident who was a Hillary Clinton supporter, a group that McCain apparently thought would be attracted to Ms. Palin’s candidacy.
> >
> > Dear classmates –
> >
> > As an Alaskan, I am writing to give all of you some information on
> > Sarah Palin, Senator McCain’s choice for VP. As an Alaska voter, I
> > know more than most of you about her and, frankly, I am horrified that
> > he picked her.
> >
> > The most accurate description of her is red neck. Her husband works in
> > the oil fields ofPrudhoe Bayand races snow mobiles. She is a life
> > time member of the NRA and has worked tirelessly to allow
> > indiscriminate hunting of wildlife inAlaska, particularly wolves and
> > bears. She has spent millions ofAlaskastate dollars on aerial
> > hunting of these predators from helicopters and airplanes, dollars
> > that should have been spent, for example, onAlaska’s failing school
> > system.We have the lowest rate of high school graduation in the
> > country. Not all of you may think aerial predator hunting is so bad,
> > but how anyone (other thanAlaskawolf-haters, of which there are
> > many, most without teeth), could think this use of funds is
> > appropriate is beyond me. If you want to know more about the aerial
> > hunting travesty, let me know and I will send some links to
> > informative web sites.
> >
> > She has been a strong supporter of increased use of fossil fuels, yet
> > the McCain campaign has the nerve to say she has “green” policies. The
> > only thing green about Sarah Palin is her lack of experience. She has
> > consistently supported drilling in ANWR, use of coal-burning power
> > plants (as I write this, a new coal plant is being built in her home
> > town ofWasilla), strip mining, and almost anything else that will
> > unnecessarily exploit the diminishing resources ofAlaskaand destroy
> > its environment.
> >
> > Prior to her one year as governor ofAlaska, she was mayor of Wasilla,
> > a small red neck town outside Anchorage.The average maximum education
> > level of parents of junior high school kids in Wasilla is 10th grade.
> > Unfortunately, I have to go to Wasilla every week to get groceries and
> > other supplies, so I have continual contact with the people who put
> > Palin in office in the first place. I know what I’m talking about.
> > These people don’t have a concept of the world around them or of the
> > serious issues facing theUS. Furthermore, they don’t care. So long as
> > they can go out and hunt their moose every fall, kill wolves and bears
> > and drive their snow mobiles and ATVs through every corner of the
> > wilderness, they’re happy. I wish I were exaggerating.
> >
> > Sarah Palin is currently involved in a political corruption scandal.
> > She fired an individual in law enforcement here because she didn’t
> > like how he treated one of her relatives during a divorce. The man’s
> > performance and ability weren’t considered; it was a totally personal
> > firing and is currently under investigation. While the issue isn’t
> > close to the scandal of Ted Steven’s corruption, it shows that Palin
> > isn’t “squeaky clean” and causes me to think there may be more issues
> > that could come to light. Clearly McCain doesn’t care.
> >
> > When you line Palin up with Biden, the comparison would be laughable
> > if it weren’t so serious. Sarah Palin knows nothing of economics
> > (admittedly a weak area for McCain), or of international affairs,
> > knows nothing of national government, Social Security, unemployment,
> > health care systems – you name it. The idea of her meeting with heads
> > of foreign governments around the world truly frightens me.
> >
> > In an increasingly dangerous world, with the economy in shambles in
> > theUS, Sarah Palin is uniquely UNqualified to be vice president. John
> > McCain is not a young man. Should something happen to him such that
> > the vice president had to step in, it would destroy our country and
> > possibly the world to have someone as inexperienced and inappropriate
> > as Sarah Palin. The choice of Palin is a cheap shot by McCain to try
> > to get Hillary supporters to vote for him. when McCain introduced her
> > today, Palin had the nerve to compare herself with Hillary and
> > Geraldine Ferraro. Sarah Palin, you are no Hillary Clinton.
> >
      To those of you who, like me, supported Hillary and were upset that she
> > did not get the nomination, please don’t think that Sarah Palin is a
> > worthy substitute. If you supported Hillary, regardless of what you
> > think the media and the Democratic party may have done to undermine
> > her campaign, the person to support now is Obama, not Sarah Palin. To
> > those of you who are independent or undecided, don’t let the choice of
> > Palin sway you in favor of McCain. Choosing her shows how unqualified
> > McCain is to be president. To those of you who are conservative, I
> > guess you have no choice for president. But please try to see how the
> > poor choice of Palin tells us a great deal about McCain’s judgment.
> > While the political posturing inherent in the choice of Palin is
> > obvious, the more serious issue is the fact that the VP is, literally,
> > a heartbeat away from the presidency. Sarah Palin is totally and
> > unequivocally unqualified to be vice president, let alone president.
> >
> >I know this is a lengthy and emotional email, but the stakes are high.
> > I thought it might help for all of you, regardless of political
> > affiliation, to know something about Palin from someone who has to
> > live with her administration inAlaskaon a daily basis.
> >
      Jackie S.

 

Thanks, Jackie S.  And now, here is Jon’s response to this letter.  Feel free to pass this along, for the enlightenment of others.  Of Jon, I have never been more proud.

A letter from the Jonathan Hart househould:

As a proud Conservative American, I’m ‘putting country before self’ (to rob the great phrase of McCain) tonight with this email, as I should rather be studying for my upcoming board exam on Tuesday than composing this email at 3 AM. If I fail I blame it on this email, which is in response to the one I received this evening (see far below for original transcript).

First I would like to say how disgusting it was that a few liberal anti-war radicals showed up at the RNC tonight to interrupt McCains speech repeatedly and obtrusively. Typical of their kind. And the lovely welcoming committee of violent protestors in St. Paul, abhorrent.  I can not help but contribute this behavior to our nations’ liberal colleges and universities, espousing anti-American and Socialist ideals from the pulpit of the classroom. It happens, I’ve been there and seen it at a so-called Christian affiliated college. I fear for our nation’s youth in this regard.

Also, it was nice of all the major media networks not to provide coverage of the RNC for Americans, unlike the coverage they gave the Democratic Convention in Denver. On second thought, maybe it was a favor on their part, to spare us (conservative main stream Americans and myself) from their liberal bias. I’m sure we’ll get it nonetheless.

I am always one to listen to new perspectives. No one wants to take for granted the gravity of the VP nomination. However, I am more than slightly disappointed in “Jackie S.”‘s statements (see below).  I disagree on several different points with Jackie S.’s diatribe on Palin.  Not only in its content, but mainly in its tone and innaccuracy. If you’re gonna sling the smear, make sure you sniff it and know it first.

In stark contrast to Jackie S., I am actually excited and thrilled with the nomination of Governor Palin for Vice-President.  Maybe it is because Jackie is from NYC, and I’m from Nebraska, smack in the middle of the heartland, where I grew up with traditional conservative American values, that our view-points differ. But maybe not: Guliani loves her. 

The following are quotes from Jackie S., which I will respond to, from her email below my entry:

“Her husband works in the oil fields of Prudhoe Bay, and races snowmobiles”–Jackie S.
Is this supposed to be a negative? He works hard and then plays hard. Sounds like millions of Americans. Man, how dare he work hard to help support his family, in the AMERICAN owned and run oil fields, which help to lessen our dependence on foreign oil, and provide American jobs. And then to have the audacity to drive his oil burning snowmobile……..fast… the horror of it all.

And, what a great thing it would be to drill in ANWR, to provide more American jobs and further bridge our transition from foreign oil dependence to alternative energy sources. For short term relief on gas prices. I know Jackie is concerned about the environment, so am I. And so are all/most Americans (even conservative republicans like me). Believe me, if I knew that drilling on the vast northern slope of Alaska was going to destroy the Alaskan ecosystem, I wouldn’t support it. But it’s not. But there are other places than ANWR to drill, as well. We can do so and still protect our environment. But alternative fuel sources are the answer, and Palin and McCain know this well.

“She is a life time member of the NRA and has worked tirelessly to allow indiscriminate hunting of wildlife in Alaska, particularly wolves and bears.”–Jackie S.
Well, I know to most liberals being an NRA member and owning a gun is “horrific”.  And hunting a crime. But hunting is not a crime, I assure you. I fail to understand this logic, when these same people find no fault in killing unborn humans, or if you’re Obama, don’t see why babies who survive an abortion should be granted medical care. I am not being inflammatory, simply factual.  I see more evidence on hundreds of ultrasounds per day of the human qualities of the unborn. How dare I infringe on the right of a woman? How dare you infringe on the right of a human baby. Where are we at in this nation if wolves and bears are elevated above human life?  But I digress. As for hunting wolves and bears: it’s legal, and we’ve been doing it in this country since it was owned by the Indians.  We have limits in place to protect their populations. But this criticism is on a personal level, it is our right and privilege as Americans to spend our time and money as we see fit within our legal boundaries.  Including the Palins. This criticism holds no merit, in my opinion. 

On the subject of spending millions of taxpayers dollars on AERIAL hunting, I will concede due to lack of information, but I would like to see substantive sources. As for the ethics of specifically aerial hunting–I agree, let’s keep it a sport. But this is a matter of opinion, and most Alaskan’s probably enjoy hunting. That’s for the state of Alaska to decide, and for Palin as Governor to represent them. But let’s not see the forest for the brush….there are many MUCH more important issues in our country….

As for her lack of greenness. Jackie mentions that a new coal plant is opening up in Wasilla. But she fails to mention Palin’s and McCains plan and desire to expand our nation’s nuclear power plants (in lieu of coal), and continue to develop alternative American based fuel sources. I feel many Americans are beginning to be blinded by greenness.

“Prior to her one year as governor of Alaska, she was mayor of Wasilla, a small red neck town outside Anchorage… Unfortunately, I have to go to Wasilla every week to get groceries and other supplies, so I have continual contact with the people who put Palin in office in the first place. I know what I’m talking about. These people don’t have a concept of the world around them or of theserious issues facing the US”–Jackie S.

Newsflash: ignorant people live in Chicago too. And in NYC, Milwaukee, and in Appleton, and in Mequon, and in Wausau, and in Nebraska….. I was raised in a town of 700 people. My town is just the type of town Jackie speaks of. I know the kind of people she speaks of. I have worked hard to better myself, earn my degree(s), and so have millions of small-towners. “Rednecks”, just like me, who are far from ignorant, just because they don’t look the way Jackie wants them to.

And how dare Palin become the mayor of a small town full of ‘rednecks’, to try to better her community and the schools that her 5 children attend. Maybe Jackie should look up to Palin’s wonderful example. Maybe Jackie S. would find more fulfillment in her life by doing like Palin, leading by example, DOING and SERVING, instead of criticizing and making fun of her neighbors’ “lack of teeth” Be like Palin, Jackie S.: join the PTA, the school board, become the mayor, the Governor! Work to better your community instead of making fun of its members.

At least Jackie had the courtesy not to criticize Palin’s pregnant daughter, unlike the rest of the mainstream media frenzy.  If her daughter had elected for abortion instead of life, the left would be lauding her for her courage to make such an ‘informed’ decision. Instead, she is taking responsibility for her actions, facing the tough road ahead of early parenting with her family’s AND MOTHER’s support,  and preserving the life of her little baby. And withstanding the relentless mainstream media’s attacks. And for that I commend her and her fiance. They could have taken the easier path. But they did what is right.

“She has spent millions of Alaska state dollars on aerial hunting of these predators from helicopters and airplanes, dollars that should have been spent, for example, on Alaska’s failing school system.”–Jackie S.
First, I have a hard time believing that aerial hunting is paid for by taxpayer dollars as a government program, unless it serves a reasonable purpose. Secondly, if Todd and Sarah Palin want to go legally rent an airplane and legally shoot a wolf with their own hard-earned money, more power to them. I do not know what “spent millions of Alaska dollars” is referring to? Her salary? Maybe they used HIS money…..

From what I have seen and heard, Palin’s record is more one of fiscal responsibility and frugality. She sold the governor’s private jet on ebay (in and of itself worth several hundred moosehunts! and several hundred textbooks!), got rid of the governor’s daily personal motorcade and in-home chef. Why doesn’t Jackie/liberal left talk about that? Or that she has an 80% approval rating in the state? Or that she has cut spending drastically in the state and brought on a huge surplus, took on the “Good Ol Boy” elite, and big oil monopolies?

“Sarah Palin is currently involved in a political corruption scandal.  She fired an individual in law enforcement here because she didn’t like how he treated one of her relatives during a divorce.”–Jackie S.

How would you like to be tazered, Jackie? Do you know what a Tazer Gun is?

Again, innaccuracies and inflammatory (i.e. “corruption scandal”) statements abound from Ms. Jackie. How is it that even I know more about this situation than Jackie S? First, Palin did not fire the abusive law enforcement official (who’s name is Wooten). She is being accused of PERSONALLY PRESSURING the Public Safety Commisioner, Walter Monegan, into firing State Trooper Wooten, which is unsubstantiated.  She is also being accused of terminating Monegan b/c he failed to fire Wooten. She, in reality, did terminate Monegan, but she had reason’s other than personal (look it up, I just did–Maybe Jackie should too). She has that right, she appointed him. And therefore doesn’t even need to state a reason.

Now, for the rest of the story with brevity (conveniently omitted by Jackie): Trooper Wooten is married to Sarah Palin’s sister. Trooper Wooten has a record of abusive behavior. First, using his Tazer Gun on his 10 year old son. Second, threatening to put a bullet in Palin’s sister’s father if he hired her an attorney. Sounds like a great guy. Leave it to the liberal left and the media to ignore domestic abuse! I personally would have exerted some pressure on the situation myself, if you know what I mean. But Palin was above that. These accusations are just that, accusations. Liberals drawing at straws in desperation for some ounce of dirt. I know it goes both ways, but come on, can’t they do better than that? Wouldn’t you raise concern if your own sister and her family were being physically and verbally threatened? If we want to go down this path…..how about the company and loyalties/spiritual advisors Mr. Obama has kept over his many years: William Ayers, Farrahkan, Reverend Wright. Sounds like the kind of guy I would like to call Mr. President…..in my worst nightmare. But that’s just me….and millions of other Americans. Even if Palin DID hypothetically use her office to PRESSURE someone who refused to fire a man who posed serious threat to her father, her sister, her family, one could even form the argument that she did the right thing. But, we don’t need to, as it’s of now unsubstantiated.

“When you line Palin up with Biden, the comparison would be laughable if it weren’t so serious. Sarah Palin knows nothing of economics (admittedly a weak area for McCain), or of international affairs, knows nothing of national government, Social Security, unemployment, health care systems – you name it. The idea of her meeting with heads of foreign governments around the world truly frightens me.”–Jackie S.

“Laughable”, eh? That’s quite a list that Jackie came up with that supposedly Palin knows NOTHING about.  I’ll tell you what IS laughable, is this email authored by Jackie S.  “You name it”: No, I think you already hit them all, Jackie. Great work. I’ll tell you what frightens me, the prospect of Obama meeting with heads of state (i.e. Iran’s), without preconditions and with an idealistic air (more like unrealistic, if you look at the Middle East’s flagrant disregard for UN diplomacy and compliance over the last 10-20-30 some odd years). National Security IS a MAJOR issue.  Palin has the ideals of McCain and Reagan. She is tough, and proven, against tough politics in the toughest of states, Alaska.  Not only would I trust McCain on foreign policy over Obama hands down, so would I trust Palin over Obama. And if I had a son or daughter in the military, as do BOTH Palin AND McCain, how much more so would I trust them over Obama, one of those few who voted against the successful troop surge in Iraq?

We have had great successes in Iraq. What? You are surprised at that statement because the media does not tell us about those successes. Our involvement there was supported in a BIPARTISAN manner from the outset. And now, we must finish the job, and continue to keep fighting where it counts. To have withdrawan early as Obama and the left desires would be disastrous.

I believe the experience card is gonna play out as an empty hand for the Democrats. Mayor. State Governor. Two things Biden and even Obama don’t have on their resumes, like Palin.  If Palin supposedly knows zip about economics, how was she able to balance the State of Alaska’s budget and turn it into a surplus in such a short time? Unsubtantiated claims, again, by Ms. Jackie.

I am so looking forward to the Biden-Palin debates. Palin will at minimum hold her own. Why? Not chiefly because of her intelligence and eloquence, but because of her genuine Authenticity and Sincerity and Realness. 

“Should something happen to him such that the vice president had to step in, it would destroy our country and possibly the world to have someone as inexperienced and inappropriate as Sarah Palin.”–Jackie S.

Typical, “the sky is falling” leftist rhetoric. I assure you all, our country (and possibly even the whoooole world), will not spontaneously combust and be destroyed if hypothetically speaking McCain suddenly and unexplicably….kicks the bucket.  As a matter of fact, I think Palin is just the kind of genuine, moral, compassionate, intelligent, confident, and determined leader this nation NEEDS. But McCain will, in fact, survive this Presidency, I have a feeling, just as he did the Hanoi Hilton torture chamber as a POW, serving his country.

“Sarah Palin, you are no Hillary Clinton.”–Jackie S.
Amen. For once I agree with Jackie S.  Palin is DEFINITELY no Hillary Clinton. She is heads above. Thank goodness. For me. Hillary is an accomplished woman, and do not intend to detract from her successes.

If you are like me, which it seems like my kind has somehow become the minority in today’s America, I long for traditional American values. The preservation of Life. The preservation of Freedoms granted to us and EARNED with the lives of our beloved family members. Not taken away or restricted by the government. I believe like our founding fathers in limited government, the free market economy, one which is stimulated by lower taxes, which fuels our innovative spirit. That is America. That is why I love the nomination of Palin for VP.

And not socialized medicine (as Obama wants), not mandated schooling of my own children. If you want a country like that, move to Europe, or Canada!  But if you’re looking for access to healthcare in Canada or Europe, you may find yourself disappointed. For instance, while studying for boards I came across the following:

Estimated 5 year survival rates for Lung Cancer:
in the United States:             
 Stage IA:  75%                          
 Stage IB:  55%                          
 Stage IIA: 50%                          
 Stage IIB: 40%                          
 Stage IIIA: 10-35%                    
 Stage IIIB: 5%                           
 Stage IV:  less than 5%               

in Europe:
Stage IA:    60%
Stage IB:    38%
Stage IIA:   34%
Stage IIB:   24%
Stage IIIA:  13%
Stage IIIB:   5%
Stage IV:    less than 1%

Just one example of how US healthcare quality exceeds Europe.

Also, for further example of “Socialized Medicine” as it currently exists in Canada, please read this real life account:
http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=300495064758477

Now I know there are such accounts in the US as well, but I assure you, it’s on a whole new level of beaurocratic regulation and DELAYED DISPENSATION of even basic medical care and procedures.

Despite what the liberal media would have us believe, our health care access and quality to other countries is superior. We have superior doctors because we have great medical schools and training programs. What will happen when doctors compensation falls? Quality applicants will diminish, and be diverted elsewhere. We have superior medical research funded by independent grants and private industry. Why is it that we have foreign medical graduates literally in droves wanting to get into US medical schools and residencies? and coming here for health care?

Socialized medicine will never meet the healthcare needs of people nearly as well or with the quality with which a free market healthcare model will. ALL NEEDS WILL NEVER BE MET IN HEALTHCARE, no matter the system. Sorry to say.

 It is my hope that America will not slide into the mire of the liberal code of morality and self-defeating attitude. It is my hope and prayer that our nation will return to the greatness, morals, traditions, and values I have spoken of.  I believe that is what makes America…..America.  I think a vote for Palin and McCain is a great place to start, if not at least for some of you, better than the alternative.

Further reading on Palin and these aforementioned issues from substantial sources, which I HIGHLY recommend you read before you vote, even you liberal friends of mine out there, for an alternative perspective:
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/02/atantaros_0902/
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/08/defending_against_the_first_at.html
http://townhall.com/columnists/BenShapiro/2008/09/03/the_hypocritical,_woman-hating_left_targets_palin?page=full&comments=true
http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2008/09/03/the_four_stages_of_conservative_female_abuse
http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/01/frj_0901/
https://lindyborer.wordpress.com/

Remember, trust, but verify, this election year!

Now, back to studying for that pesky board exam…….

Jonathan D. Hart, MD

Advertisements

22 Comments »

  1. My apologies for stating that Jackie S. was from NYC. She is from Alaska, and her friend from NYC.

    Comment by Jonathan Hart — September 5, 2008 @ 9:34 am |Reply

  2. You are obviously very proud of your brother Jon, and he makes a great argument for not being a redneck. He also obviously is very educated, but it appears to be limited to his field.

    I say this because after reading what he wrote in his blog, it is even more apparent that he is utterly stupid when it comes to understanding the political world.

    I have been a lifelong republican and conservative, but I come from the day when the republican party actually meant something and it hadn’t yet been completely hijacked by the evangelical religious right wing that has sent it straight to the toilet.

    This Palin woman- a a complete and utter joke. Neither she nor John McCain are patriots; they are like robots (puppets if you will) of the far right wing. That is why they will lose in the election. Americans are sick of how we have screwed them over again and again for the last 8 years.

    Jon- You need to get a new brain because all of your arguments are totally based on nothing but ignorance. You need to wake up, get your head out of your ass and see what this administration has done to the country over the last eight years.

    It needs to be fixed and unfortunately, McCain and this backwards robot Palin will not do it. They WILL NOT bering back so-called conservastive values that I long for. They will instead just bamboozle Americans by their psuedo patriotism and values.

    Obama and Biden WILL on the other hand do great things for this nation. I can’t wait.

    Comment by Ron — September 5, 2008 @ 11:52 am |Reply

  3. The funny thing about Jackie’s note is that this woman is bashing all the “rednecks” yet…she lives there. Hey Jackie S, you are a red neck. (Personally I find nothing wrong with that.)

    Comment by Bill — September 5, 2008 @ 1:58 pm |Reply

  4. Generally, I do not publish comments that contain foul language and/or personally attack either me or other commenters. However, Ron is a special case. I often find that those who resort to insults and foul language often do so because they are unable to discuss actual issues, and most of the time discredit themselves in the process. So I am making an exception this time.

    As for McCain and Palin being “robots” of the right wing: News to me. And here I thought John McCain was nicknamed the Maverick because he so often reached across the aisle.

    And I am confused as to which conservative values you long for? Generally, conservatives and Republicans value limited govt. and social issues like outlawing abortion, for example. Two things among many that Obama and Biden do NOT value. So why are you going to vote for them, if you are, indeed, a Republican?

    So, unless I woke up this morning in “opposite world,” where Democrats are Republicans, and Republicans are Democrats, I think you might be in the wrong party, Ron.

    Because if you’re a conservative, then I’m Susan Sarandon, and that must make Jon Michael Moore.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 5, 2008 @ 2:11 pm |Reply

  5. Yeah, Bill, I’m a redneck, too. And proud. Thanks for the comment.

    Andrea Mitchell (of CBS or NBC News) also stated that Sarah Palin wouldn’t appeal to educated women. Well, Andrea, I did manage to squeeze in four years and get a bachelor’s degree. And she appeals to me. Thanks for insulting a lot of educated women Sarah Palin supporters.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 5, 2008 @ 2:19 pm |Reply

  6. Ron: Puppets of the far right wing, John McCain? I think not. Is that why so many Democrat’s are now supporting McCain, most notably Lieberman? And is that why I saw so many signs reading “Democrats for McCain” as I attended the wonderful McCain-Palin rally today in Cedarburg, WI?

    And you call being a Naval pilot in defense and service to his country and TORTURED for years, only to deny preferential release so those men who were there before him could be set free, in trade for 4 four more years of torture in the Hanoi Hilton, a pseudo-Patriot? You call that PSEUDO-PATRIOTISM? And then to return to the same people who tortured him, personally, in the name of Country and Diplomacy? To call that pseudo-patriotism is a travesty. You should be ashamed to call yourself an American.

    And you have the gall to call me stupid and ignorant.

    Comment by Jonathan Hart — September 5, 2008 @ 2:59 pm |Reply

  7. Happily Sarah Palin has an inside link to God’s will and will be able to tell us mere mortals just what that is. I couldn’t believe her arrogance, and her snide insults to all the people who are working hard to help people in their communities.
    The Republicans have been in power for most of the last 8 years, and what do we have to show for it. I used to have a great deal of respect for John McCain but he has sold out to the Karl Rove team. I am disgusted.

    Comment by Edie F — September 5, 2008 @ 6:14 pm |Reply

  8. I strongly doubt there is a real person named Jonathan D. Hart MD. This article contains too many spelling and grammar mistakes to be written by a person with an advanced degree. And, no I don’t think “curtesy” or “unrelentless” are typos. This piece was written by a person pretending to be an MD (and not doing a convincing job of it)who can’t write well and can’t use spell-check. No matter how strong his points may be, if we can’t spell we can’t communicate effectively. Yikes, how embarrassing!

    Comment by Andrea McLaughlin — September 5, 2008 @ 8:33 pm |Reply

  9. Andrea, I can assure you that Jon is in fact a real person. He is my brother, and if you want proof, let me know, and I would be happy to supply it.

    By the way, the letter was written at 3 am, and his degree isn’t in English. Obviously, you feel threatened by his strong points and exhibit the typical liberal tendency to attack the person (or the person’s grammar and spelling) rather than actually counter those well-argued points.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 5, 2008 @ 8:55 pm |Reply

  10. Dr. Hart. your long letter simply reminds me of something comedian Pat Paulson
    said during the 1968 election (which brought us Nixon): “The Republican
    Party has always been the party representing family values. After all most
    of the fine Republicans I know have 2, 3, sometimes even 4 families.” All this
    talk of morality is hypocritical nonsense. Good luck with your exams, and
    take a little time to ‘grow up’ while you are at it.

    Comment by Brett Pavel — September 6, 2008 @ 12:00 pm |Reply

  11. The letter from Jackie S. only makes me a bigger fan of the MaCain/Palin ticket…..the louder the lefties squawk the more appeal the ticket has…..

    Kudos to Jon for a great post…

    Comment by trish — September 6, 2008 @ 3:37 pm |Reply

  12. Comment to Brett P: Since when is having high ideals about morals “immature”, and being openly immoral,is mature and “grown up”? No one claims to be perfect. Thanks, Jon, for speaking your mind at 3 AM! It was an honorable thing to do. Many have appreciated it. Question of the day: Does Jon H. MD, exist? Chuckle.

    Comment by Dee — September 6, 2008 @ 4:29 pm |Reply

  13. […] instead, go check out this reply to another anti-Palin letter that’s […]

    Pingback by Some random musings for the evening « The Political Housewyf — September 6, 2008 @ 11:42 pm |Reply

  14. Let me first say “I am very proud to carry the last name Hart.” I too, attest that Jonathan Hart M.D. does exist. His abilities, intelligence and convictions are real; and just to his point of view. If the only thing you (Andrea) could find, to object to in his response, was his very few grammatical errors, then, I feel the need to question your intelligence on many more levels other than English 101. I too will have many, please feel free to correct it as you feel needed.

    My bio…I too grew up in the Midwest; reared in the principles of morality, religious convictions, and hard work. I too went to school and received a 4 year degree, which gives me the self righteousness to declare myself more intelligent (lucky) than the masses. I too “pulled up my bootstraps” and bettered myself. I too am a “redneck” and damn proud of it!!

    So, with that said, where do I stand and what is my position in examining “who will do a better job leading this country?” I would consider myself an independent, one who wishes to “sit on the fence” and actually weigh the most important issues and examine, without first having a predisposed “token vote” because of party affiliation.

    First, and dare I say, only important issue, in my opinion, we need to look at is Maslow’s first level in the hierarchy of needs….Breathing, food, water, sleep…etc.

    Breathing = healthcare, food and water = jobs, sleep = housing….

    Lets first all agree; for the mass population of this nation, we aren’t even providing the first level of needs! How can the person that has lost his job and thus, is in the process of loosing his ability to provide food, water, shelter, and medical assistance to his family, care about the other issues facing America. What good does it do if we have the best medical expertise in the world if we can’t extend it to the entire population? Or, what good is it if we have the best school systems if the average “poor” kid can’t gain entrance because he had to get a job to help support his family?

    When will we realize, as the few keep getting richer and richer, the most will get poorer and poorer? At what point does something give, and what happens when it does? Will we still be the “greatest nation” at that point? Will the millions of dollars in the bank mean anything?

    The other issues facing America are just as important issues for one who is secure in assets; however they pale in comparison should you be one of the unlucky masses of “this great nation.”

    I saw a bumper sticker the other day that sums up the root of what I feel the masses, as well as I will take to the polls….McCain, More of the Same. I do feel the need to say, I whole heartedly respect John McCain’s morals, values and Patriotism, however; I don’t believe that that is all it is going take to save this country from the ills that are facing ALL of us. To call him a puppet is disrespectful; but he is tied to a party that has separated themselves from the average hard working American, when it comes to economics.

    Just my thoughts and opinions….

    Comment by Lucas — September 7, 2008 @ 12:11 am |Reply

  15. Lucas, My THOUGHTS EXACTLY..As an older American (60) ….and yes I also have a degree…who lost her job a year ago and has not had luck with her job search, your comments on what my husband and I are facing was right on. And sadly, it seems those unemployment numbers are rising every time we hear a new statistic. The issue of healthcare is near and dear to my heart for both personal and professional reasons. Having been in a position to witness the loss of health insurance by those with serious health issues it is an overwhelming problem. The fact is that if you are one of the unlucky, through no fault of your own…ie a good employee, solid citizen, contribute to your 401K and save each month.. you can still lose your job and within a short time be in dangerous financial territory for both you and your family’s welfare… can a family ever recover from this financial blow… in particular if you are unlucky enough to then have a health issue hit your family and your health insurance is gone.

    I too believe John McCain is the maverick they describe but I am not convinced that is a strong enough quality for me to vote Republican this year.

    As Lucas said.. Just my thoughts and opinions….

    Comment by Helen — September 7, 2008 @ 9:06 am |Reply

  16. Hi, everyone! Let me just say that I’m so glad that everyone is getting their chance to be heard. And thanks for doing it respectfully. I’m so excited that I’m getting so many visitors to my blog!

    Luke, I do want to take issue with one thing you said, namely that we’re not providing the mass population with the first level of needs. I really just have to disagree with that statement. I think the USA pretty much tops the list of countries in the world as far as basic needs go.

    What public school turns away kids? Are you talking about older, college-age students? (I think I must be misunderstanding you here.)

    I really do want to know what else we could be doing in the US to help the poor and unfortunate, in addition to the things that already are in place?

    As far as economics go, obviously I am a conservative Republican (as is my husband). (I know, you’re all saying, “No S_t?) We are humble farmers who aren’t what you’d call “wealthy.” So I respectfully disagree with your statement that McCain has affiliated himself with a party that has separated itself economically from the hard-working American masses. Because I look around and see a LOT of hard-working, not overly wealthy Republicans.

    I take it from your apostrophied use of “great nation” that you don’t think that it is, and you’re entitled to your opinion! I just want to point out that to me, America is not always right (who is?), but at heart is a noble nation. So I, along with many (most?) Americans don’t ascribe to the “blame America first” mantra.

    Thanks for your comments. After all’s said and done, you’re family, and blood is thicker than water!

    Brett P.: Believe it or not, not all Americans agree that the last 8 years have been all that horrible. They’ve been pretty darn good to me. But, I respect your thoughts as well. And isn’t that further proof how great our country is? That we have the freedom to think differently and debate openly? (Though I’m gritting my teeth, because you did insult my brother, and it goes back to blood being thicker than water. You understand.)

    Helen, you know that I love you. And I can’t even imagine what you’ve had to go through after losing your job and your 401 K and your health insurance. But, how is this a partisan issue? Do people not lose jobs when there is a Democrat in office? I’m not trying to be sarcastic, I really do want an answer to that! How could it be stopped?

    Again, thanks for all your thoughts. Know that you’re all important to me.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 7, 2008 @ 12:55 pm |Reply

  17. Of course jobs are lost under any party’s leadership, just as wars occur, government corruption exists and our tax dollars have been wasted under both parties leadership. To say a national or personal problem or crisis does not happen or will not happen with one party or the other in power as the president is too biased in my opinion. No president runs this country alone if we are honest. That is why we have the Congress. Those folks are running a tightrope between their party philosophy, national special interests, their constituants interests and of course GETTING RE-ELECTED. I do believe that this mix of both parties is a good counter-balance to any president we elect. The reason we do not have a monarchy is because our founding fathers did not want to entrust that amount of power to one individual and I for one am glad of it. All that said, again I really do not believe there is one party more at fault than the other in the end for problems our country faces now or has in the past. However I, like Lucas, have decided at this point that I want to see a different philosophy in the White House for the next 4 years trying to effect change to the many problems America faces.. all the while knowing, whomever sits in that seat will not be responsible for causing or fixing evey single problem this county encounters or inherits during their presidency. I absolutely am not a person that follows politics to the extent many of you must however I felt I needed to comment after reading Lucas’s post because he expressed my feelings so well. I must also comment that the news media is getting a bad rap many times when they are actually just investigating and reporting what they find. You would not be able to “search” for information on your candidate and become more informed unless someone had done that research and reported. We all now have more opportunity than ever before to do those “searches” We must also all honestly admit that there is no candidate that is 100% on the same line as us on every issue but that is okay…. that is our right and our privelege to think for ourselves on every issue.

    As you probably have discovered by now spelling and politics are not my biggest interests.

    Comment by Helen — September 7, 2008 @ 3:04 pm |Reply

  18. Helen, you don’t give yourself enough credit! I believe you did a beautiful job in explaining your position.

    And you’re not alone in rejoicing about the way our political system is set up. You’re absolutely right. Democracy is a great thing. I think our founding fathers were masterful, and that is why I find myself cringing when people who have benefitted from our wonderful democracy start sounding like Karl Marx.

    As always, forgive me for my political fervor.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 7, 2008 @ 3:40 pm |Reply

  19. These are all such heart felt, thought provoking comments. It seems that we all, whether Democrat, Republican, or Independent, want the same things. We just differ on how to accomplish that. Helen’s situation (losing her insurance benefits after working years to earn them) was criminal, in my estimation. And whoever is in charge should address these unfair tragedies. I agree that this is not a partisan issue, but a corrupt practice of insurance companies. Maybe it is the “business” that is corrupt, and it’s not all the government’s fault… All other issues aside, I cannot vote for an Obama/Biden ticket because I am Catholic, and I wish to remain so. Abortion issues take precedence over all others, I am told by the Bishops of the Catholic Church, and should I vote for this ticket, I need to be excommunicated. (Homily this AM). If we deny the most innocent in our country, the chance for LIFE, the buck stops there. And, we, as taxpayers, must stop being forced to pay for the killing of the next generation. I believe that the McCain/Palin ticket is the only one with the hope of accomplishing this.

    Comment by Dee — September 7, 2008 @ 6:30 pm |Reply

  20. A PS to Lucas- Are the rich, in fact, getting richer and the poor getting poorer? And how would a plan of higher taxes and income redistribution solve this problem?(Obama’s) Make everyone equally poor? (By the way, I’m told that the poor have the greatest chance of getting to heaven and are by far the happiest, so maybe it’s a great idea)…I have a long way to go in being “my brother’s keeper”…but I’d prefer to do it out of conviction, not force.
    Then I’m also wondering about the statement that the Republican party has distanced itself from the average hard working American. If I were an Alien, peeking into the 2 National Conventions, I would’ve labeled it the opposite…Republicans appeared to me to look like common ordinary folks, and the Democrats appeared pretty “Hollywood”. I appreciated your thoughts, though. You have a very kind heart.

    Comment by Dee — September 7, 2008 @ 6:45 pm |Reply

  21. Sorry, its taken a few days to answer questions, just been busy. I was somewhat sarcastic in saying “great nation” because at every turn, it seems corruption has filled our businesses and government. And its less government making national desisions and more big business. Or, wait here’s an idea, are the two just that,two, or have they actually become one? I do believe we live in a great nation, and am proud to be an American. My sarcasm is directed to our government, not our nation.

    Schools dont turn kids away, but if you dont get a chance to go because you’re needed to work to help your family, then…well, you get the picture.

    I was referring to the middle class Republican. Contrary to belief the policies and tax breaks given under a Republican office are done to advance the wealthy and big business. They smoke and mirror it by giving tax rebates and minor tax cuts to the middle class and then justify it by saying it will trickle down to you middle class and poor people eventually. It has nothing to do with political party but everything to do with affluent status. If you are wealthy, your wealth will grow at the expence of the middle class under a Republican office. However under a Democratic office, the wealthy will grow as well as the middle class. Its not us against them or who gets the money, its just economics. And its proven….

    Here’s the link and an article that supports what im trying to say. There are plenty more such articles and research that are less opinion and more scientific, however they are much longer than needed for a comment blog. Id be happy to post the address, if needed.

    If what you read and research is done by a biased source, then what your opinion is based on is biased aswell. I realize it goes both ways, and one could say the same to me, however I/We are living in the effects of a Rebublican office on our economy. Not one of success I would say….

    http://www.robertreich.org/reich/20080818.asp

    The Real Economic Choice

    ROBERT B. REICH

    August 18, 2008

    UNDERNEATH THE RHETORIC AND 10-POINT ECOnomic plans advanced by John McCain and Barack Obama lie two fundamentally different philosophies. It’s not, as John McCain puts it, a choice between a tax-raiser and a tax-cutter. Nor is it simply a matter of whose plan is more fiscally responsible (although McCain’s blows the roof off of the budget deficit). What’s really at stake is a choice between two basic ideas of how economies work and how prosperity is created. McCain’s theory can best be described as top-down economics. Obama’s is bottom-up.

    Much of the last 30 years has been a long experiment with top-down economics. It originated with Ronald Reagan’s supply-side tax cuts and met its full flowering in George W. Bush’s reflexive insistence that tax cuts were the answer to any question. McCain’s latest version holds that:

    * Tax breaks will give wealthy people incentive to work harder and invest more. Their harder work and added investments will generate more jobs and faster economic growth, to the benefit of average working people.

    * Tax breaks for corporations, along with reduced payroll costs and fewer regulations, will enable them to compete more successfully in global commerce. This, too, will result in more jobs for Americans and faster economic growth in the United States.

    * The best way to reduce the energy costs of average Americans is to give oil companies access to more land on which to drill and to lower their taxes and capital costs. If this happens, they’ll supply more oil, reducing oil prices.

    * The best way to deal with the crisis in credit markets is to insure large investment banks against losses from sub-prime mortgages, in order to maintain liquidity, but not to protect individuals in danger of losing their homes.

    All of these propositions are questionable in a global economy. Rich individuals do not necessarily invest in the United States; they invest wherever around the world they can get the highest returns. American-based corporations are doing business all over the world; their supply chains extend to wherever they can find low labor costs combined with high output. They sell wherever they can find willing buyers.

    Oil companies, too, operate globally and set prices at the point where global supply meets global demand. Additional drilling here creates environmental risks for us but generates the same marginal benefits for consumers in China, India, and Europe as it does for us. Credit markets are global as well, so the beneficiaries of bailouts of large investment banks are also worldwide while the potential costs and the moral hazard fall on American taxpayers.

    This isn’t to argue that top-down economics is completely nonsensical. America is, after all, the world’s largest economy. So whatever helps the top of it will to some extent trickle down to everyone else here.

    But in a global economy, bottom-up economics just makes more sense. Bill Clinton briefly tried aspects of it, but at the insistence of Alan Greenspan, largely gave it up. Barack Obama’s economic approach embodies it completely. His new version holds that:

    * The growth of the American economy depends on the productivity of our workers. They are rooted here, while global capital and large American-based global corporations are not.

    * The productivity of American workers depends mainly on their education, their health, and the infrastructure that connects them together. These public investments are therefore critical to our future prosperity.

    * Global capital will come to the United States to create good jobs not because our taxes or wages or regulatory costs are low–there will always be many places around the world where taxes, wages, and regulatory costs are lower–but because the productivity of our workers is high.

    * The answer to our energy costs is found in the creativity and inventiveness of Americans in generating non-oil and non-carbon fuels and new means of energy conservation, rather than in global oil companies accessing more oil. That calls on us to subsidize basic research and development in energy alternatives.

    * To avoid a recession or worse, our priority should be improving the financial security of average Americans who are now sinking into a quagmire of debt and foreclosure. Otherwise, there won’t be adequate demand to absorb all the goods and services the economy produces. The financial institutions that did the lending and knew the risks involved should bear the responsibility for the crisis, not the borrowers.

    If the last 30 years offer any lesson, it’s that top-down economics is a cruel hoax. As a result of top-down, a majority of Americans now find themselves with lower real wages and less health and pension protection than they did three decades ago, inequality is wider than it has been in 80 years, and the American economy is going down the tubes.

    Isn’t it time we tried bottom-up?

    Lucas

    Comment by Lucas — September 11, 2008 @ 3:38 pm |Reply

  22. Luke: I believe that we are at an impasse, as we come from two fundamentally different economic philosophies. Robert B. Reich is probably one of the most liberal individuals in our nation when it comes to economic ideology (as well is in social issues like abortion etc…) My own philosophy is influenced in large part by Milton Friedman. (Two excellent Friedman reads, Free to Choose and Capitalism and Freedom.) In other words, lassez-faire, keep the government out of it, tighten the purse strings, and let the market work type philosophy.

    But I agree with you: the comment section of a blog is not the best place to carry out long, tedious conversations about economic policy, especially when it’s safe to say that the individuals taking part in it are quite firm in their positions.

    Comment by lindyborer — September 12, 2008 @ 9:17 am |Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: